Why are we moving?
Our lease is ending on the 30th September and we were unable to negotiate a lease that would facilitate us to survive the current retail environment. The cost of goods is increasing, the cost of postage is tripling in some cases. Even if sales go up, our margins are becoming smaller and smaller.
The above situation and the fact that we will never compromise in paying a fair wage to our artisans, means that the only solution to staying in business was to move to a less expensive location.
So basically, are recession proofing our business and ensuring we can still supply our amazing customers Fair Trade, Artisan and ethical products.
Where are we going?
We will literally be a 5 min walk away and you can still park in the Coles car park to get to us.
We will also be doing local markets. But these will be more advocacy about Fair Trade and Sustainable upcycled Fashion.
What are our plans?
1. It will always be about supporting artisans following the Fair Trade model – We want to be a business that helps fight against poverty, with sustainable employment and dignity. Fair Trade is a poverty solution that offers a hand up rather than hand out.
2. We want to become more involved with our local community and prove that businesses survive through collaboration rather than competition. One of the collaborations will be with Arellia House ( The op shop that raises money for domestic violence victims).
3. We want to sell and support upcycled designers. We will be running a competition with cash prize money ( Details on how to apply will be available in September)
4. We want to have mending Mondays, upcycling classes and competitions as a ongoing part of our business model.
5. I personally want to give free talks about the importance of Fair Trade and sustainable business practice to schools and at events again – AWARENESS is key! (Its why its in my business name.)
We want our business to be at the heart of the Fashion Revolution again.
Dreamer and Doer @ AWARE…The social design Project
PS Together we can change the world!