Theme: “Awareness is Key to Create Social Redesign”
Entry is Free.
- Entry form closes 8th Oct.
- Submission for stage 1 has been extended to the 1st December (Word (PDF), Power point or TikTok presentation or even as an email - so long as you have the information and photos required as outlined under, it can even be submitted as a letter )
- Those that go to Stage 2 (Top 20) will be notified by 30th Dec (Date has been extended).
- Peoples Choice voting open 3rd Jan..
- Winners will be announced 16th Jan.
To make sure that your submission is successful, read the following information that details the terms and conditions. How to enter is explained at the end of this page.
1st Place: $500 Cash
2nd Place: $100 Gift Card
3rd Place: $50 Gift Card
Peoples Choice award: $100 Gift Card
What you need to do
Make one Upcycled Outfit that fits the theme: “Awareness is Key to Create Social Redesign”
- Participants must be Include at least 5 photos documenting the creative process. Photo one of the materials used, photo two the creative process photos 3-5 documenting the making process. These must be submitted via email when submitting the final creation (Detailed in stage 1 submission requirements).
- Must be interested in exploring upcycled design concepts to potentially solve or respond to modern day textile waste problems. A paragraph on how your design does this is to be submitted with final garment
- Participants must create an upcycled design concept with this year's theme, “Awareness is Key to Create Social Redesign” in mind. Make your audience think, spark some debate or discussion about this topic.
- Design and build an upcycled "creation into a commercially viable outfit. We want to take the idea of upcycling mainstream and are looking for designs to be sharp but accessible
- Materials used must include upcycled/recycled materials. The materials used and where they are sourced MUST be included with the final submission
- Submissions may be made by individuals or groups of two. For group submissions the financial award will be split equally among the two applicants (no exceptions)
Stage 1: Submission Requirements:
Provide in what ever medium (email, poster, tic toc, word doc etc) you like but it must include;
- Design process
- Outline of the representation of the theme “Awareness”
- Description of how the piece was designed and created, material usage, explanation of all other materials used and how they were sourced/ reclaimed, why those choices were made
- Must include very clear visuals of final design
If you have gone through to stage 2. When outfit is dropped off it must have with it an A4 print out that is to be displayed with your garment, It must have the following on it:
- Name that you are registered under in competition
- Photos documenting the creative process.
- Photo one showing the materials used,
- Photo two the creative process
- Photos 3-5 documenting the making process. These must be submitted via email when submitting the final creation.
- A paragraph that explains how the garment solves or responds to modern day textile waste problems.
Judging Criteria/ Matrix for stage 1 and 2
- Innovative use of reclaimed materials sourced (30 Points)
- Representation of the theme “Awareness is Key to Create Social Redesign” (15 Points)
- Creativity, quality, finishing and workmanship of completed design. The reason this is so high is that we want to prove that upcycle can be a fashion solution (30 points)
- Ability to articulate (through video submission) the design process, inspiration, rationale for selected materials and overall messaging of theme (10 points)
- Originality of design (15 points)
- The garments will be 50% peoples choice vote and 50% Industry expert Vote. The judges include – Fiona Wright from the Stitching Project, Julie Lantry who is a sustainable fashion and beauty expert, Yvie Scott from Aware the social design project and a internationally known Australian Slow Fashion Fair Trade Label will be a surprise judge.
How the competition will work.
The top 50 submissions that are regarded as a commercial standard garment and you choose to sell online it will be displayed online at https://awarethesocialdesignproject.com.au/ and will be available for sale (if you are an upcycle business and have a tax file number, your profile will also be included with a direct link to your social media, web page etc (Free marketing :D). Please allow for 25% commission and GST, where applicable for items placed for sale.
Please note that garment submitted and are available for sale will become the property of "Aware… the social design project" until the 3rd of Feb, Unsold garments can be collected from our physical shop location or can be posted to the artist (Return postage cost will need to be covered). All items Must be collected back by 10th Feb, if it is not collected it will become the property of Aware...The social design project.
The top 20 submissions are those that make it to the stage 2
Will be called and formally invited to the Fashion Revolution Show. Their entry to the event is Free.
Calling All Revolutionaries Event Tickets $15 each person (for anyone who wishes to attend)
People's Choice Award
There will be a vote for your favourite via an online entry form at the Aware... the social design project website..
Voting open 1st Dec.
You can only vote once, if there are multiple votes by the same person this persons vote will be omitted.
Each vote counts as one entry to win $100 Gift Card at Aware…the social design project (can be used online or instore)
Winners will be announced at a special event in late Jan. Stay tuned!
To enter email copy and past following information with answers to firstname.lastname@example.org as subject put "(your entry name) and Upcycle Comp 2022" :
Business Name (if applicable):
ABN (if applicable):
Link address that you would like attached to your image when publishing your media/photos(eg.Facebook: @Awarethesocialdesignproject):
Do you want to have your entered garment(s) for sale: Yes or No
Have you read and understand the terms and conditions above: Yes or No (Do not submit this until you do understand them)